Equality and Diversity
The Equality Act 2010 brought together the many existing equality laws into a single piece of legislation. This act introduced the term ‘Protected Characteristics’ and aims to prevent unlawful discrimination against anyone who has a protected characteristic. All of us have at least some of these characteristics and in effect the Equality Act should protect everyone from being treated unfairly on account of who they are.
The Association’s policy outlines the Association’s commitment to Equality and Diversity. It was launched in April 2012 and updates the previous “Equal Opportunities Policy and Action Plan” which was approved by the Management Committee in November 2008.
It was developed in collaboration with both staff and Committee members as well as local residents who attended a consultation event in October 2011.
The policy is supported by an action plan which sets out what the Association will do on a day-to-day basis to help ensure that the policy’s objectives are achieved and that the Association can be proactive in its work in equality and diversity. The action plan is as a separate document which is updated and reviewed annually.
What have we done so far?
Delivered a programmed of Equality and Diversity Training for staff and Management Committee
- Carried out equality impact assessments on all of our policies
- Made available all our public documents in translation, large print, CD/Data to voice, and in Braille upon request
- Incorporated data to voice facility into our revised website from 30th June 2014
- Guaranteed an interview to all those who have a disability if they meet the minimum criteria for a job being advertised
- Reviewed jobbing contractor application forms to include specific questions on equality and diversity compliance
- Identified specific tenant needs (letters and newsletters sent out in translation and in larger font.
- Identified specific tenant needs (tenants who may need more time to answer the door etc)
- Roll out refresher training on Equality and Diversity to staff and Management Committee
- Provide training on Equality and Diversity to members of the Resident Scrutiny Panel
- Ensure that tenants and other service users are aware that contractors and consultants are required to observe the Association’s Equality and Diversity Policy
- Work towards a representative General and Management Committee membership.
- Monitor and report on the KPI set in the Internal Management Plan to increase numbers of males, young people and BME on Management Committee by 31st March 2015